Students, staff, parents and the entire JAGS community get involved when it comes to JAGS charity events. Whilst each house has its own charity, we also support worthy courses both locally and on an international scale.
We have a long running partnership with the Libra Foundation in Romania, we support current issues such as the Syrian refugee crisis this year and we even have a group of girls who have help start a charity founded by our Biology teacher working to empower young people in the poorest slum area in Uganda. These are some of the charity highlights from this year:
- A Foundations School Quiz Night which raised over £10,000 for Save the Children’s Children of Syria appeal for Syria.
- The AFFCAD Christmas Parcel Project which raised money for a huge Christmas party and hand delivered over 200 presents to our friends in AFFCAD’s primary school, Bwaise slums, Uganda.
- We donated an incredible 3632 items, to the PECAN Foodbank, Southwark [www.pecan.org.uk] over Christmas building our first foodbank mountain in the Judge Hall!
- Girls in Years 7-9 raised a impressive £3076.12 for Water Aid
- A day in denim (own clothes day) raised over £722 for Jeans for Genes
- The annual poppy appeal raised £300 with sales of poppies for the British Legion.
- Our annual Multicultural Evening organised by Year 12 as a celebration of our diverse cultural backgrounds, raised an amazing £1300 for Young Minds and the accompanying raffle raised a further £150 for AFFCAD.
- Sports day refreshments, Founder’s Day stalls and various events which have raised money for the wonderful Libra Foundation
- Haircuts for charity! Dolly Nash in Year 10 and Bernie one of our maintenance staff have both had their locks chopped for Little Princess Trust and AFFCAD UK
The concept of giving through fundraising, time or ideas is written in bold from an early age. We hope the seeds have been sown for JAGS girls to find a cause they are passionate about and together help to make the world that little bit better.