The journey at JAGS begins in a large, family Edwardian house, full of life and laughter. Set in its own impressive grounds, our Pre-Prep is only a short walk from the Middle School. Girls, aged 4-7 years, are introduced to school in a relaxed but purposeful manner. A Teddy Bears’ Picnic in the very first term gives the girls a chance to show their parents their growing love of their new world and their fast developing friendships.
Classroom activities at the Pre-Prep focus on developing key skills; games and critical thinking projects encourage them to take risks in their learning, as well as promoting positive attitudes and dispositions.
Most days are spent in the Pre-Prep building, but the girls can also enjoy the facilities of the Middle and Senior schools including the swimming pool, copse and ICT suite.
Everyone including Nursery Nurses and Classroom Assistants is involved in the pastoral care of the pupils. The Class Teachers’ focus on the overall welfare of each child ensures girls feel happy and valued.
Aims of JAPS/JAGS
- To encourage all pupils to develop their full potential by stimulating their intellectual curiosity, enthusiasm and imagination.
- To promote excellence in academic, creative and athletic endeavours.
- To teach the value of integrity, morality and a concern for others.
- To enhance pupils’ appreciation of their own and other cultures.
- To develop pupils’ self-confidence and independence so that they are well-equipped to play an active role in society.
Additional Aims for JAPS
- To create an atmosphere of happiness and warmth in which children are motivated to work and play to the best of their abilities.
- To offer a broad, balanced curriculum, based upon the National Curriculum and Foundation Stage.
- To generate – both inside and outside the classroom – a sense of vitality, energy and a conviction that learning is fun. We see lunchtime and after-school extra-curricular activities as essential to the life of the school.
- To maintain close links with parents.